Sabbath

Ah, Sunday.

These days, it's just another day, taking care of our daughter, trying to keep some kind of semblance of normalcy.

I remember when I was younger where Sundays were actual distinguishable days from the rest of the week. Even with Sunday shopping becoming prevalent when I was a teenager, Sundays just had a different feel than the rest of the week. Perhaps it was because there was nothing on TV so we were forced to find something else to do, like read or - heaven forbid! - clean our rooms. Maybe it was because Sunday meant the last day before school started again for another week.

I liked Sundays as a kid. Sundays were much more relaxed and more often than not, meant a trip to our grandparents'. If we didn't go to our grandparents, we stayed home, and depending on our age, went to the school playground half a block away. If the weather wasn't cooperating, we stayed in our rooms and played or read our newly checked-out library books. Sunday dinner usually meant a roast with gravy, followed by The Wonderful World of Disney on CBC. Bath and bed shortly after, depending on our age.

These days, I can't distinguish Sunday from any other day other than the fact that Sesame Street isn't on at the usual 8am for our daughter to watch. Well, that and the fact that most - not all - stores aren't open until noon and close at either 5 or 6pm, but we rarely shop on Sundays anyway.

I want to return to the old days, where Sundays were different from the rest of the week. Where we could relax and not feel guilty about it. Not a day people use to catch up on the chores they've put off during the week. I guess, for lack of a better argument, I'm advocating using Sunday as a day of rest, as in, of all things, the Bible. I'm one of the last people to advocate for anything referenced in the Bible, but I guess anything is possible.

My plans for today include playing with our daughter, going for a walk and relaxing as much as one can with a 7-month old. It's a decent day out today (19ÂșC today, perhaps some showers later) so we should probably take advantage of it, rather than just wasting yet another day inside staring at a screen.

No comments: