Running out of excuses

The Art Institute of Vancouver has a Right Brain vs Left Brain Creativity Test. I've been doing a lot of self-debating lately over my future prospects with the designing/crafting stuff I'm looking at getting into and thought the test could be a good gauge for me to see if I do have what it takes.

Just a bit of background - I was never pegged to be a creative person in high school. With all the aptitude tests we took, my results always came back with more labour-intensive jobs than anything. I never flexed my creative muscles in high school - I didn't start doing anything creative, outside of typical childhood crafts, until I was in my third year of university and joined the student newspaper. And, as they say, the rest is history.

My results:

Thank you for taking the Creativity Test. The results show your brain dominance as being:
Left Brain Right Brain
44% 56%
You are more right-brained than left-brained. The right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. In addition to being known as right-brained, you are also known as a creative thinker who uses feeling and intuition to gather information. You retain this information through the use of images and patterns. You are able to visualize the "whole" picture first, and then work backwards to put the pieces together to create the "whole" picture. Your thought process can appear quite illogical and meandering. The problem-solving techniques that you use involve free association, which is often very innovative and creative. The routes taken to arrive at your conclusions are completely opposite to what a left-brained person would be accustomed. You probably find it easy to express yourself using art, dance, or music. Some occupations usually held by a right-brained person are forest ranger, athlete, beautician, actor/actress, craftsman, and artist.

Dead on. And scarily so. Except for most of those occupations - definitely not cut out to be a forest ranger, athlete, beautician or actor/actress.

So maybe it's not so far-fetched that I could be successful at this design thing as I thought. Guess now that I have the printer, and these results, I have no excuses not to take the big leap and let people see my work and maybe, just maybe, buy it.

Or not.

Who knows.

Pessimism, thy name is me.

1 comment:

Keith Borkowsky said...

My split was 55-45 for the right side.