Smooth

I go through phases where I just turn against my usual musical tastes. Apparently, there isn't a single thing I want to listen to in my 32GB+ library. When that happens - the sudden hatred - I tend to turn to the list of radio streams on iTunes. More often than not in the past, I've fallen back on my favourite indie station - CBC3. A great selection of independent Canadian bands, many of which I've become a fan of over the years.

This past week, I've apparently completely turned against 'my music' - indie/alternative, 90s Canadian rock bands, Beatles, stuff like that. So radically that I have become addicted to the Sentimental Journey stream from 1clubfm.com. I don't know if it's because I've been searching out more and more pre-WWII images to work with for my stationery, or it just complete boredom with the music I've been listening to for almost 20 years, but I love this station. I love the music. LOVE IT.

I've tried to always have music on when we're playing with our daughter. At first, I tried having more kid-friendly music, but she's never really gotten into it, outside of a small handful of old Disney songs. And for the last few months, we've been listening to the music I've got on my computer. She got bored with that around the same time I did. This new choice in music - songs from the 40s-60s, old crooners and big band stuff - she loves. LOVES.

And because I've never heard most of these songs or, if I have, they were snippets in movies or something, I'm not finding myself bored with it. Which is nice, considering how many times in a row I was hitting the 'next song' button with my music. And this music - the instrumentals, the old classics sung by the original singers - is incredibly relaxing. Maybe it'll help me actually get some work done.

No comments: