Brr. Brrrrrr. BRRRRRRRR.

A couple of nifty finds for this very frosty (-17C, -27C with the wind) Friday:

Historical Anatomies on the Web An extensive collection of scans from anatomical atlases from the 15th to 20th centuries. I've been on the hunt for unique and interesting scans from old books and texts lately to use for my 'products' and came across this site late one night. I don't know what I like more about the artwork - the looks on the models faces as they pull up their skin to show the reader what is where, or the reliance on proportions in the earlier books. I haven't gone through them all yet, but I'm imagining there's some real treasures hidden in the scans.

LAC/BAC Photostream The Library and Archieves of Canada has a wonderful collection of photos and artwork available for everyone to look at online. I know this isn't all the items they have, but from what I've gathered just skimming through, the majority of what they have available on this photostream are from pre-1920. There's a lot of WWI items and a fair amount of 'how this country was built'-type of photos. Things that history (and old photo) nuts like me love.


I spent the last couple of days polishing up my resume to apply for a job I've had before. I worked at the 'other' weekly here a few years ago and loved it. I made some good friends and learned a lot; it was a no-brainer that I was going to apply when I saw the job posting in the paper the other day. Now, I'm not sure what to do if I get the job.

I still want to work for myself, but I know that if I were to get this job, I would be happy. I don't know what kind of hours they are looking at, but if it works with my ideal schedule, then great. I had been planning to work for a bit at my soon-to-be-former job anyway, so if I can make it work, I will. But I don't want to keep delaying this other thing I want to work on. Can I find time to do both? Sure, if I can convince Maddy that just because I'm on the other side of her gate does not mean I can't talk to her. I love her, but sometimes, the needy-clingy thing gets a little old. I'm trying to work with her on playing by herself and it seems to be working, sometimes. Othertimes, I'm surprised she doesn't just start throwing toys at me.

I don't want to start thinking I've got this job sewn up. There are a few other designers here in town that I know are looking for work and if one of them gets chosen ahead of me, fine. But I don't think I could have lived with myself if I hadn't at least tried to get it. In the meantime, I start back at work on Monday for my last 2 weeks and then it's Christmas and all that fun stuff, so I'll be busy enough to keep my mind occupied. Or, at least, I hope so.

No comments: