And this is what I think

A discussion on the Nano forums has brought up an interesting conundrum.

'Publishing' my novel via this blog basically nullifies it from ever being published as a real novel.

So sad for me, right?

Nope.

I see Nano as a chance to kick back, chat with other writers and just write for a couple of months. If I wanted to do something that I could send to a publisher, I'm sure as hell going to spend more than a month working on it.

Even with the stuff I've put on my website I know isn't going to get published, and I had it posted up long before I knew about the whole 'publisher's won't take a second look at anything already published on the internet' thing.

I really don't care if my write-as-fast-as-possible-who-cares-if-it's-grammatically-correct stuff never hits the bookstores, because I haven't really invested the time and energy necessary to get it to that point. Someday, I'd love to get published - right now, though, I'm just taking baby-steps and working my way to where I want to be.

There are lots of people over at Nano who are expecting to have their Nano novels published, and good for them. I think I'm a little more realistic in thinking that there's not enough time to write a good novel in a month - unless you've spent the previous 11 researching and outlining, and if you did, wow, I'll give you a tip of my perverbial hat.

I've been saying for months, if not years, now that I want to write a book. Maybe the next month will finally put me back into that groove I was in two years ago, when I'd write all the time. And who knows - maybe in a couple of years, I'll have something publishable. But I refuse to delude myself into thinking that a month is enough time to write something readable for the masses.

No comments: