Mmm... fakey goodness

Why is it even possible that I can buy 'fat reduced' margarine and 'salt free' margarine, but not 'fat reduced, salt free' margarine in the same container? Is there a rational explanation as to why the two can't be one, like the salt's needed to keep that oddly chemically food product cohesive, or maybe the fat replaces something when the salt is removed.

Either way, frustrating.

I spent 10 minutes being gently nudged in the margarine section at the store by little old ladies and their massive shopping carts just to buy the one 'food' that will never go bad or rot (it's true - possibly) so I can make homemade granola bars. Of all the ingredients, it's the only non-healthy one, as far as I can tell (unless you're allergic to nuts or honey, anyway, and if you are, too bad, so sad)... I ended up choosing the 'fat reduced' margarine over the 'salt free' because I don't add salt to my food to begin with. And with 2% of my daily sodium intake in 2 tbsps, I don't think adding 4 tbsps (that'd be 4% of my daily sodium intake) to a granola bar recipe that will make a couple dozen bars is going to kill me. The fats that exist in the nuts are much better for me than the ones in the margarine, so I'd rather take nut fat over margarine fat any day. Trying to be healthy and all that...

That said, photos and recipe of my first attempt at making granola bars to follow, possibly tomorrow, possibly 3 months from now - who knows.

No comments: